My Family

My Family
Aren't they cute?

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

CHIME Infant-Toddler Program

We started at CHIME Infant Toddler program October 2005 (http://www.chimeinstitute.org/ToddlerProgram.htm).  We attended twice a week except when Kyle was sick.  Since this was our first school experience, he was sick regularly.    Even now he gets bronchitis every December. 

Our first day was miserable.  Thankfully we were the only kids there.  Kyle cried during the entire singing time.  He refused to drink his shake at the table.  The teacher and aide were very nice and I found them easy to talk to and knowledgeable.  The day was structured but the kids were allowed to choose activities based on interest.  For example, the front table had two art or sensory activities that the kids were encouraged to explore, but if they chose to play with the musical instruments that was fine.  The program has a speech, occupational and physical therapist on particular days so therapies were integrated with the play. I loved the emphasis on learning and developing through play.  Activities were structured and children were monitored to maximize their growth across all areas of development.

I saw the most growth with Kyle during this period.  When we entered, he wasn’t eating, talking and was fearful of everything.  He did not like sand, slides, or even the ball pit.  According to the evaluation, at the age of 31 months he was exhibiting skills ranging from 3 months to 35 months. 

Truthfully, I had the most growth during this period.  I had to put aside me and truly listen to what the teachers were telling me.  I bonded with parents and for the first time felt like I wasn’t a bad mommy.  I asked questions, wrote down recommendations and even asked other parents their opinions about whether or not Kyle was autistic. 

I looked forward to my days at the center.  Even though we lived 30 minutes away, I would set aside my schedule to make the trek to the center.  I had to listen to experts tell me how to best raise my child.  This was not easy for me but I had to learn to trust other people and their knowledge.  Often, I felt like I should intuitively know what they knew. 

As Kyle started his evaluations for Regional Center, UCLA, and LAUSD, I relied on the experts at CHIME Infant-Toddler even more.  I wondered how to get Kyle into the CHIME program at the CSUN preschool. As a general education teacher I had participated in many IEP meetings but this was my first time facing it as a parent.  I wanted to be as prepared as possible. The main teacher at CHIME I/T was a constant source of support.  She read my IEP cheat sheet (a paper where I wrote my goals for Kyle) and attended the IEP meeting. 

Brief side note, IEP meetings seem like they are intended to make the parents feel awful on purpose.  You are faced with a panel of “experts” who will tell you in detail everything wrong with your child.  When you disagree, they will fall back on their credentials and experience.  Even though I am an experienced teacher, I was treated like a crazy mom.  If you have an upcoming IEP meeting, I highly recommend visiting Wrightslaw website (http://www.fetaweb.com/03/iep.goals.revise.measurable2.htm ).

Our first IEP meeting was terrifying as I suspected it would be.  Knowing this going in I stacked the meeting with people I know on purpose.  First we prayed before and after the meeting.  I think I even prayed during the meeting. Next my husband attended.  You will be surprised how much the tone of a meeting will change when people are faced with a 6’4” man and you are talking about his only son.  His mother and brother attended as well.  I also invited the Floortime therapist and Kyle’s Regional Center coordinators (early start and school age).  I wrote my goals out for Kyle in advance and even hired an advocate to review the IEP once the meeting was finished.

The “experts” from LAUSD wouldn’t let everyone I invited sit at the table.  Then they reviewed the testing results.  The OT proceeded to tell me he didn’t need therapy.  She was so condescending.  Thankfully, the teacher from CHIME I/T stepped in and gave her opinion.  The team listened to her and we were given OT.
During the meeting, we learned that a space opened up at the CHIME program which is housed at the CSUN Family and Child Studies Center.  Aaron and I stepped outside and decided to sign the IEP meeting.  Kyle’s future for the time being was settled.  He was going to spend the next two years in a highly rated preschool program filled with teachers, student teachers, and therapists who had the necessary skills to maximize his development.

So much more than playing!



No comments:

Post a Comment