My Family

My Family
Aren't they cute?

Friday, March 18, 2011

Who’s the Boss?

Recently, I have noticed some disturbing habits Kyle and Tara have developed.  When they do not understand  or hear me they say, “What?” My husband and I agree that their response is unacceptable to us so we explained to them we want them to say “Excuse me” instead.  I am finding that when they slip and say what, I have to force myself not to respond.  My instinct is to just answer them.  It is quicker and easier to just repeat my words.

Another trend someone pointed out to me is my tendency to make my commands a question.  I did not even realize I had this habit until a behavior therapist who worked with us told me.  I would say, “You need to pick up your shoes and put them in your room, okay?”  Every command was turned into a question.  

The last bad habit of mine I need to break is going to my kids when they call.  I am not talking about the “Mommy, I hurt myself.” call.  I am talking about the “Mommy, I just need something and I am too lazy to go find you.” call.  They will scream for me over and over again until I answer.  Now, I wait quietly until they realize they need to find me. 

So in order to establish that I am indeed the boss, I have realized that the discipline starts with me changing my behavior.  

Here are some good websites I go to for parenting advice:
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/

Oh my title refers to that classic 80's series starring Tony Danza and Alyssa Milano. 

No comments:

Post a Comment