My Family

My Family
Aren't they cute?

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Not the other “A” Word!

Fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play, does not seem to listen when spoken to directly, does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace, has difficulty organizing tasks and activities, avoids or dislikes tasks that require sustained mental effort (such as schoolwork), often loses toys, assignments, pencils, books, or tools needed for tasks or activities, is easily distracted, is often forgetful in daily activities, fidgets with hands or feet or squirms in seat, leaves seat when remaining seated is expected, runs about or climbs in inappropriate situations, has difficulty playing quietly, is often "on the go," acts as if "driven by a motor," talks excessively, blurts out answers before questions have been completed, has difficulty awaiting turn, and interrupts or intrudes on others (butts into conversations or games).

The above description is a list of ADHD symptoms but truthfully the list above describes my daughter, Tara exactly.  She is wonderful child.  I know I am her mom but she is brilliant, funny and talented.  She thinks way outside of the box. Sometimes, I just stare in amazement at how beautiful and special she is.
Lately, we have noticed that Tara seems to be the poster child for ADHD.  Honestly, I have suspected this for a while but didn’t start to pursue a diagnosis and treatment until she started first grade. 

Although I have faith in God, I did start to question Him.  I mean…I have already dealt with one special needs child.  I learned, grew and became a better person. Why did I get chosen to have two? Why did I get chosen to have a child with a diagnosis that seems to have a stigma attached to it? Autism makes some people uncomfortable but either a child is on the spectrum or they aren’t.  The tests aren’t perfect for autism but they are better than the tests for ADHD. 


Once my pity party was done, I dusted myself off and started getting organized. We are in the process of getting her officially diagnosed.  The hardest aspect is the reactions of others. 

I know that He will never give me more than I can bear.  I know that there is a reason for everything.  I realize that I have two great kids and I will do whatever I need to do to get them the help they need.
Future entries will include our ADHD journey.

1 comment: