My Family

My Family
Aren't they cute?

Friday, December 24, 2010

Two Books I Recommend

Type autism into Amazon.com and hundreds of choices will pop up.  The nice thing about having autism in your life today is the overwhelming amount of information.  I have read numerous books and websites about having a child with autism.  There are two books I highly recommend both written by members of the Peete family.  I admire the Peete family for being so open with their story.  As an African-American woman, I relate to their journey. 

My Brother Charlie by Holly Robinson Peete and Ryan Elizabeth Peete
                Finally a book I can read to Tara about her brother.  The book is from the perspective of Charlie’s sister.  She shares her frustrations with her brother as well as the unique way he says “I love you.”  Although the story and illustrations are terrific, the best part of the book is the section titled “Why we wrote this book and how it can help you” at the end.  Ryan explains very simply how to discuss autism with kids.  She writes, “I feel it is up to those of us who don’t have autism to change ourselves so that we can better understand people who have it.”  I still cry when I read that simple wonderful sentence.  Her last line is “Please be patient”.  She is more perceptive than many adults I have met.

Not My Boy!: A Father, A Son, and One Family’s Journey with Autism by Rodney Peete
                Rodney Peete shares his journey into the autism world and he does not mince words.  He honestly tells the reader how he avoided going home at times, how he felt when he was embarrassed at a meeting and how his wife had to stand firm with him.  His book is wonderful for husbands to read.  Here is a strong man admitting for the whole world his stress, weakness and disappointment.  He encourages and gives hope to men.

No comments:

Post a Comment